There are several things that you cannot do after LASIK surgery without interfering with the healing process. These include but are not limited to rubbing your eyes, looking at screens, and swimming. If you are unsure whether something is safe to do during LASIK recovery, it’s best to consult your eye surgeon.
Are you interested in knowing exactly what you can expect after LASIK? Keep reading for more detailed recovery restrictions. At Susskind & Almallah Eye Associates, our experienced LASIK surgeons provide all patients with aftercare guidelines.
Recovery Timeline and Guidelines After LASIK
You can plan to resume most normal everyday activities within a day or two of having LASIK. During this time, it is particularly important to take care of your eyes so that everything goes smoothly, and you get the results you desire.
Your vision should stabilize quickly, but the full healing process lasts three to six months. Here is a general recovery timeline including aftercare instructions:
- Immediately after LASIK: Arrange for someone to drive you home. Keep your eyes closed as much as possible. You may experience some discomfort that can be improved with prescribed medication and eye drops. Taking a nap is a great option that allows you to sleep off post-surgical discomfort. Be sure to wear the provided eye shields.
- The first 24 hours after LASIK: Avoiding eye strain is crucial. Stay away from activities such as reading and watching TV, and keep screen time to an absolute minimum. You can shower after 24 hours, but be cautious not to get shampoo or face wash in your eyes. Driving is appropriate when your vision clears. Be sure to attend your follow-up appointment to check on your progress.
- 1 to 2 weeks after LASIK: Wear sunglasses when outdoors and continue to use the recommended eye drops. It is generally okay to engage in moderate exercise at this point. Avoid putting makeup or skincare products near your eyes. Swimming or soaking in hot tubs is discouraged for two weeks following LASIK out of concern for bacteria.
- 1 month after LASIK: You can usually return to strenuous activities, including contact sports, after one month. Consider wearing sports goggles to protect your vision.
- 3 to 6 months after LASIK: Your eyes will continue to heal during this time and your eyesight will improve. Continue to adhere to recovery guidelines and attend your follow up visits.
Schedule Your LASIK Consultation Today
Learn more about what you can expect following LASIK vision correction during a consultation with our highly skilled laser eye surgeons in New Jersey. Call 732-349-5622 today to schedule your visit to one of our offices in Manalapan Township, Brick, Toms, River, or Barnegat.