Millions of people suffer from cataracts, and they are one of the leading causes of blindness worldwide. A cataract is a clouding of the lens of your eye, which usually is clear. If you have cataracts in one or both eyes, then you know that they can interfere with your vision. While the visual decline is often gradual, eventually your sight may become so blurry or distorted that it becomes difficult to perform daily activities.
You deserve to see the world clearly, and cataract surgery may be a good option if your vision does not improve with a stronger lens prescription. But how do you choose the right surgeon for such an important procedure?
Evaluating Your Potential Ophthalmologist
Choosing an eye specialist to perform your cataract surgery is a big decision. Your eyes are your window to the world, and you want to know that your vision is in good hands.
When looking for an ophthalmologist, consider their:
- Qualifications: It is essential to look for a board-certified ophthalmologist. This certification shows that they have met specific requirements regarding knowledge, skill, and experience. Dr. Omar Almallah is board-certified by both the American Board of Ophthalmology and the American Board of Eye Surgeons.
- Experience: Ask your potential cataract surgeon about their experience. You want to know that they have performed successful procedures in the past and feel familiar and comfortable with the surgery.
Dr. Almallah has performed over 25,000 cataract operations and is nationally recognized for his accomplishments as a cataract surgeon.
- Diagnostic methods: It is important to receive a thorough eye exam before undergoing any corrective surgery. Our experienced staff will perform a variety of tests including pupil dilation, a tonometry test, a visual acuity test, and corneal topography and Optos wide fundus imaging of optic nerve and retina.
These tests allow us to fully understand your unique eyes in order to recommend the most appropriate treatment.
- Technology: You should ensure that your cataract surgery is performed using the best technology available. The right equipment can increase the safety of the procedure while offering faster healing times. We perform most of our laser-assisted surgeries using the innovative Catalys® Precision Laser System by the Abbott® Corporation.
This system consists of a cutting-edge femtosecond laser, 3D Optical Coherence Tomography, and state-of-the-art software. We also use the innovative ORA IntraOperative Aberrometry to select the proper IOL placement during surgery.
- IOL lens selection: Does your eye surgeon offer the high-quality IOL lens that will meet your visual needs? We offer a variety of premium intraocular lenses to simultaneously correct cataracts, refractive vision errors, and presbyopia (age-related vision loss).
Schedule Your New Jersey Cataract Surgery Consultation
If you are in the New Jersey area, consider taking advantage of the experience, equipment, and innovation available at Susskind & Almallah Eye Associates. Cataracts are common, but they are not something that you should allow to interfere with your daily life.
Please call us at 732-349-5622 to schedule your cataract surgery consultation. We serve patients from Manalapan Township, Toms River, Brick, and Barnegat, New Jersey.