Glaucoma is the term used to refer to a group of eye diseases that cause damage to the eye because of increased pressure inside the eye. Glaucoma is the leading cause of blindness around the world.
Early diagnosis of glaucoma is critical for treatment. During your comprehensive eye exam, we may perform several tests for glaucoma, including:
- Measuring your intraocular pressure by applying a small amount of pressure to the eye, usually with a warm puff of air
- Testing for optic nerve damage by examining the optic nerve under magnification
- Checking for areas of vision loss with a visual field test, sometimes referred to as the peripheral vision test
- Measuring the thickness of the cornea with a probe called a pachymeter
- Inspecting the angle of the cornea with the use of a mirrored contact lens
Diagnosing glaucoma can be difficult and requires careful evaluation. Routine eye exams are important to maintaining your eye health. If you have noticed any changes in your vision, please schedule your next visit with us today.
Call Susskind & Almallah Eye Associates at 732-349-5622 to arrange your eye exam at one of our four convenient locations in Marlboro, Toms River, Brick, and Barnegat, New Jersey.